I get asked all the time, what should I wear for my family photos!?
So, I have put together this blog of couples and families who I think I did it right — and will help inspire you for your photos this Fall! Read my little tips before and after images that describe why I think it works!
- Coordinate your family’s outfits. Find a common color and “weave” it through your family. For example, let’s say you choose the color gray (awesome, neutral color). An idea would be gray slacks for dad, mom wears gray scarf, son wearing gray polo, or choose a dress with small prints that have gray (or a similar shade) in them, etc. Not every member of the family has to wear it, but you’re aiming to try to tie the look together, and color is one of the easiest ways to do it.
- If you’re going for more subtle, softer colors, consider adding pops of color through your accessories (shoes, scarves, belts, hair accessories, etc.)
- Consider allowing one person in your family to be the “wild card.” Maybe that person is wearing a bold shade of green or a fun print. If so, make sure that the other family members are complimenting that person and not competing with them. In other words, you shouldn’t have other people also wear green or bold prints that might clash.
- Layer up! Fall is the perfect time of year to layer your clothes. It adds texture, and also gives you more options of different looks without the hassle of changing outfits.
- Wear clothes that you’re comfortable in. Now isn’t the time to break in new shoes or wear anything tight or constricting. If you’re not comfortable, it will show in the images. Pick clothing that accentuate your best feature or make you feel good. It will show in all the best ways!
When choosing outfits for family photos, I always stick to a neutral palette first and then select one or two colors to feature. This year, I used cream, gray and navy and then added touches of rust and red for Fall. I love how they are laid back and comfortable yet stylish; it works in any location setting. Notice how there aren’t any logos or writing on any of the clothes? That helps to keep the photographs from being dated and the focus stays on the members of the family, where it belongs, instead of the clothes. These outfits would look amazing on the walls of any room and look good in any style home, not to mention they would make fantastic holiday cards.
*Mama in the above photos is the “wild card.” LOVE IT. She has on a fun printed dress, and everyone else pulled colors from this. Also love the added in denim and fun skirts for the girls.
Loooove both of these outfit choices from this cute couple! I’m a lover of plaid/flannel, it goes perfect for Fall! And she complimented his plaid with a neutral chunky sweater. (And her red lip is the perfect pop!) 2nd outfit, perfect complimenting colors. Navy and olive green are two of my favs for this season.
How fun is this hat!? SO adorable! Cute ankle boots. Perfect soft colors.
Love these outfits. Simple-Coordinating-Comfortable. And I’m a sucker for a cute hat! The little boy’s shirt is gray and tan, and Mom and Dad pulled from those colors. They look natural, and happy 🙂
Again, cute and comfy! I cannot stress how important it is to wear clothes that feel like “you.” I want to capture you in your most natural and happiest self, and tight/restricting/extremely formal clothing would make that hard to do! Also love their blanket. Don’t be scared of a fun accessory!
I love her scarf and hat! Such fun touches to their maternity session!
This photo makes my heart sing! This is the cutest look for a Christmas card photo. Love how fun and Wintery their attire is. And their use of layers, amazing! The little girls look adorable in the pop of pink, but you can always keep it neutral too. Again, do what feels right for you and your children and their personalities!
And lastly, I decided to throw in our Christmas card photo from last year 🙂 This photo walk taken just 4 days after we moved into our new home. So much has changed since then!
But these clothes are very “us” and these two shots are probably two of my favorites of our family, ever. (My sister took these two photos in less than five minutes, sometimes thats all it takes!) They just feel so authentic to who we are and that makes me so happy. Scout and I pulled the red from Nick’s flannel. I love olive green 🙂 Use of layers. Bring on the Fall boots. And I had to throw a Christmas hat in there!
As most of you know this is my absolute favorite time of year! October, November, December always bring me the happiest feelings – we are just loving watching the leaves change around our property. We are so excited to have everyone out for the Fall Micros in just a few weeks! Hope this post helped you plan your outfits for your upcoming session. We cannot wait to see you!